Friday, October 23, 2009

Let’s channel our college selves

IVETTE MARQUES, SENIOR ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE

This week, I participated in the FAMU Career Fair representing the FPRA Capital Chapter. It was such a refreshing event that I felt the need to write about it. During the hour I spent at FAMU’s School of Journalism and Graphic Communication, I interviewed three young men who are in the PR program. Talking to them about the industry and hearing about their hopes and dreams was so energizing.

These students who have yet to enter the working world are full of life and ideas and excitement. It was wonderful hearing about what they’re involved in right now from launching a female rapper to volunteering at a local middle school to writing poetry. They were fascinated by stories about some of my clients and work experiences and eager to get their feet wet in PR. They want to be role models and change agents and influencers – they want someone to take a chance on them when they graduate this December. And I hope someone does as Ron Sachs took a chance on me, giving a TV reporter the opportunity to work in PR.

I know sometimes we have long, hard days and we feel down, but during those times we should channel our college selves. Go back to those days when everything was fresh and unknown and full of possibilities. I think that’s how we should approach every day of our lives. In reality, we don’t know what’s going to happen on any given day and if we start each day with that sense of wonder and excitement things can only look up!

No comments: